Anyone seeking further information on any of these documents or wishing to view them should get in touch with the Society Archivist, using the Contact form, with whom arrangements can be made.
D1 Historic Duns the archaeological implications of development - Scottish Burgh Survey
Department of Archaeology University of Glasgow 1981 (two copies)
D2 The Advertiser Directory of Berwickshire 1938 - photocopy
D3 Transcript of talk by Mark Douglas Conservation Officer Scottish Borders Council to the Society dated 3 March 1997
D4 The Zepps are Coming - an account of the German airship raids of World War 1
by David Fergus
D5 Particulars Plans and Conditions of Sale of Langton Estate 1924, including photographs
D6 Design Study - Draft Report on Proposed Museum of the Merse by Ross Associates, Design Consultants
D7 Duns Official Guides - 5
Berwickshire County Guides - 3
D8 Duns Town Trail produced by Duns Community Council and Society 1999 (plus draft)
Duns - a guide published by Borders Regional Council – also mini guide plus 'a short walk'
D9 Duns Town Trail produced by Scottish Borders Council 1999
D10 The Streets of Duns by William Renton 1978 (2 copies)
D11 Notes on the Rev. James Gray 1770/1830 from ‘The Minstrelsy of the Merse’
D12 Berwickshire High School Magazines 1905, 1909, 1910, 1913, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959,1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1973 and 1978.
D13 Poachers and Preserves by Stanley Savill (undated)
D14 ‘The McCrie Documents’ copies of various documents dating from 1752 relating to the family of the Macks of Ninewar
D15 Report of The Council for Museums and Galleries in Scotland on proposed Duns Museum May 1982 (2 copies) also AIM guidelines for the setting up and running of a new museum and minutes and various associated papers.
D16 Chart showing owners of the Plough Inn since 1624.
D17 Report of the Proceedings of Berwickshire Naturalists 1892 - Notes on Duns and
D18 Notes headed ‘Church of Duns’ - authorship unknown
D19 Notes from “The Journal of John Ashton 1639 being an account of negotiations with General Leslie’s Army at Duns.
D20 Article of Duns Coat of Arms and Town Coat of Arms
D21 Article of Duns Fastern E’en Ball
D22 Article on Witchcraft in Duns
D23 Article on Martin Ravelaw
D24 Extract from the Strand Magazine 1897 on ‘Lightning Print’
D25 Extract from Chambers Gazetteer of Scotland 1832 on Duns Spa
D26 Article on do – also copy web pages on Nisbet House (see also D273)
D27 Notes on the Scottish Knights Templar
D28 Blackadder: Castle and Mansion by Marie W Stuart
D29 Extract on “Pearlin Jean” from Scottish Border Country by Andrew and John Lang 1913
D30 ‘A mystery solved’ Extract from ‘the Garden’ magazine volume 117 May 1992 on Robert Fortune horticulturist also various WEB articles, also article from magazine 'The Ids around the world' September 2013 and draft of Chapter 1 of book by David Ferguson,
D31 History of the China Clipper Blackadder (sister ship of the Cutty Sark) - Basil Lubbock
D32 Notes on the Parish and Churches of Cranshaws and Abbey St. Bathans by Rev. Crichton E Eddy also Notes on Langton and Lammermuir Kirk
D33 Booklet Robert Burns in the Borders by Archie McArthur 2001
D34 ‘Scotsman’ article on Duns postmark of 1731
D35 Abstract of Accounts of Berwick county Council for years 1933,1934,1935,1952,1954,1955,1967 and 1972
D36 Estimates of Income and Expenditure for Berwick County Council for years 1966/67 and 1969/70
D37 Documents and Papers relating to grants from the Road Fund received by Berwick County Council for the period approximately 1923 to 1929
D38 Scrap and Newscutting Book kept by Berwickshire County Council re. Miscellaneous legal and financial powers and obligations
D39 Rates statistics for the year 1968/69
D40 Notices issued by Berwick County Council re. the classification of certain roads in Berwickshire 1949
D41 The History of Lodge Dunse 23 by Bro. Rev Hugh MacKay of Talmine
D42 Poem - Duns Show April 1878 by B. Balsillie
D43 Ticket to Duns Castle and Grounds October 1934
D44 Duns Golf Club Fixtures Card 1938
D45 Letter from Town Clerk Duns re. air raid precautions 28th. August 1939
D46 Receipt for milk separator dated March 1929 issued by W.C. Caverhill and Co. Ltd Ironmongers Berwick
D47 Article on derivation of Nursery Rhyme ‘There was a Crooked Man’
D48 Download from the Survey of Scottish Witchcraft Database on Witches from Duns Parish
D49 Documents and Papers relating to Duns Scotus including letter from Museum Service Officer, Duns dated 31st. July 1990, Extract from English Historical Review October 1932, pamphlet, 'Duns Scotus a Man for all Time’ by Eric Doyle, Newspaper Reports on events to mark the 700th. anniversary of his birth and centenary brochure and programme, leaflet ‘Where was Duns Scotus born?’ by Rev. Charles Balik, letters from newspapers regarding Scotus’ birthplace Blessed John Duns Scotus Thoughts and Prayer Fr. Roland Walls 1993, John Duns Scotus - Some reflections on this life - by Rev. Fr. Charles Balic, Blessed John Duns Scotus - Thought and Prayers by Herbert Schneider, John Duns Scotus in a Nutshell by James B Torrance also various pamphlets.
Programme for International Scotus Congress 1966, (two copies), invitation, medal a service for above, Photographs of memorial stone (3)
D50 Drawing of pre 1790 Church.
D51 Genealogy of the Hays of Errol and the Hays of Drummelzier (Duns Castle)
D52 Letter to Berwickshire News May 2003 re. Dunse Library Accounts 1768 to 1799 and records 1768 to 1850.
D53 ‘A Few Places’ Poem by Jock Hay 1940 re different farms around Duns.
D54 Thesis by John Duncan on ‘Comparative Effects of the Railways on Peebles and Duns’
D55 Newspaper article dated 13 June 2002 on unveiling of memorial to Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay. Also article on Bughtrig House and the Ramsay family.
D56 Set of Accounts and Invoices relating to the firm of Wm. C McLaren Joiners Willis Wynd Duns covering the year 1911 and the period 1921 to 1937 relating to works carried out at numerous properties in Duns and surrounding area (6 volumes).
D56a Accounts of Andrew Wauchope Esq. of Niddrie and Sir John Halkett of Pitferrane covering the years 1843 to 1846 contained in vol 1 above.
D57 Ledger containing Will and Codicils of Mrs. Jane Maitland of Manderson who died 7th. September 1854 with Minutes of Meetings of the Trustees and detailed accounts relative to the winding up of the estate.
D58 Notices re. ’Enemy Raids’ – Berwick.
D59 Various Papers regarding the ‘False Alarm’ of 1804 including copy of Articles in Kelso Mail. Transcription of meetings Hawick Archaeology Society February 1864 and 1904, article from the Scots Magazine 2003; article from the Southern Annual 1948 etc.
D.60 Programmes for Duns Summer Festival 1950 (2),1951,1952(2),1953(2) 1954(3) 1955, 1956,1957,1958,1959, 1960,1965, 1967,1968,1969, 1970 (2), 1971 (2), 1973, 1976, 1977 (2), 1979,1980(2),1981,1982,1983 (3), 1984, 1985,1986, 1987 (2), 1988(4), 1989(2), (3),1991(3) ,1992(3), 1993(2), 1994(3), 1995(2), 1996(2),1997(4),1998(4), 1999(4), 2000(2), 2001(3), 2002(3), 2003(3), 2004(3),2005(3), 2006(3), 2007, 2008,2009, 2010 and 2015, 2018, 2019, (also draft 1961)
D61. Various papers donated by Dr. S Thomson, Mansfield and Ramsay Brack including receipts from various local tradesmen including, Alexr Malcolm, R Cowe & Sons. Peter Jeffrie, W & J. Blackie, George Graham,(swatch of invoices dated 189_) H.G. McCreath & Sons, George R Farnington, Cossar & Frisken, R Simpson, James M Wilkie, Wm Alexander & Son, Alexr Wait & Sons, Christopher Hounam, A.J. Campbell, J.C. Plews, Brook & Son Edinburgh, James Hume & Sons, Herbert G Dobson, Berwick and Berwickshire Advertiser, Elizabeth Bell (wages), W,D. Patterson, Also ticket for ‘Indian Famine’ fete; County Show admission 1959; old farming photograph and list of subscribers for ‘unknown’ (note; receipts transferred to receipts ledger)
D62 Local Plans 1) Berwickshire 1986 2) Hawick 1981 3) Galashiels 1981
4) Kelso 1982 5) Jedburgh 1984 6) Ettrick and Lauderdale 1985 7) Tweeddale (part) 1986
8) Ettrick Forrest 1987 9) Roxburgh (part) 1989 and 10) Lothian Region 1985
D63 Records, Ledgers and Correspondence pertaining to Duns and District Cow Insurance Society covering the period 1901 to approx. 1979 including list of members.
D64. Langton and Gavinton History - published by the Glasgow Herald 20th. October 1946
D65 Railway Time Table Dunse/Edinburgh/Berwick
D66 Memorial Inscriptions Gavinton Parish Church
D67 Newspaper advertisements March and May 1883
D68 Two promotion Cards from D Porter Jeweller Duns
D69 Programme County Show Duns 2004
D70 Uncut copy Berwickshire News 25th. October 1881 (contains account of the Eyemouth disaster) and 2nd May 1905
D71 Funeral intimation card 25th. December 1933 - also acknowledgement dated April 1932
D72 Copy of various articles and web downloads on the Rev. Thomas Boston 1676-1732 - also genealogy
D73 Card showing illustration of Vickers Supermarine Spitfire with notes on City of Edinburgh 603 Sqadron and Flight Lieut Richard Hope Hillary also newspaper cutting
D74 The Inscription in French on the Powder Room Window Paxton House by J.L. H Thomas 14.9.2005 Also Notes on Sophie Von Brandt (1731-1782)
D75 Various Border Verses including “Tam the Herd” anon “The Border Burn” by J. B Selkirk, “To Alex Wilson - Xmas 1927” anon “Reply to the Turnip Tipper - Uncle Alack” anon ‘A Schoolgirl’s Lesson - a county Walk Anon “A sang tae oor Doug Wattie” and others - anon “Autumn at Cockburn by Daniel Henderson “A Few Places” and Cumledge Mill Brass Band “by Jock Hay; Mrs. Paxton’s Shop
D76 Programme Kelso Show 1952 including Entry Schedule and catalogue for Handcrafts’ Section.
D77 Locality of Stipend Duns Parish 1934
D78 Catalogue Wightmans of Duns 1962
D79 Telephone Directory Folders (2) one issued by National Farmers’ Union of Mid and East Berwick
D80 Passenger list of the Emigrant Ship ‘Lord Deleval’ sailing from Berwick 13th. September 1852 (50 of the passengers from Berwick)
D81 Copy of letter (mounted on Board) signed by Queen Victoria sent to Miss Mary Augusta Gordon, thanking her for the gift of a Bible which had belonged to her brother General C.G. Gordon (of Khartoum)
D82 History of the Marchmont Humes
D83 Story of the Hilsdon Organ
D84 Notice of Exhibition by original Duns History Society in South Church Duns
D85 Notes on Julian Tank No 113 also photograph of fundraising visit to Duns and newspaper article on visit of same tank to Galashiels 1918 (also correspondence with P Jennings and copy of article from magazine ‘Wheels and Tracks’ No 68)
D86 Copy of the Boys’ Friend dated 8th. September 1906
D87 Burns’ Calendar 1929
D88 Web article on The Lillies of Langton
D 89 Folder of papers donated by Mona Edgar containing inter alia photographs taken at Duns Show showing presentation of medals, newspaper photograph of Ninewells House (now demolished); article from the Proceedings of the Antiquaries of Scotland on the Great Post Road; various cuttings and articles on the family of Home; Auldcambus Church; history of Coldingham and Coldstream; extracts from Tacks; and general historical notes; notes on tradesmen in Duns; teind roll Coldingham; transcribed copy Rutherford’s 1866 Directory; extracts from Kirk Session Records; copy of 1937 Berwickshire Directory, booklet on Mordington House. + documents relating to the Borthwick Institute (her name had been Borthwick)
D90 Article on Mrs. Sarah Cockburn or Denholm who died at Duns 20th. February 1923 aged 102 years
D91 Extracts from British Library Newspapers for the period 1707 to 1799
D92 Pages from the Proceedings of the Society of Antiquarians of Scotland 111 1981 relating to excavations at Borthwick Castle by Alastair M.T. Maxwell-Irving; also extract from ‘The Castles of the Cockburns published by the Berwickshire Naturalist Club; also handwritten history (author unknown)
D93 Programme for “Songs of Praise” from Duns Old and Boston Parish Church televised 27th. September 1970.
D94 3 Invoices from George Graham, Furnisher Duns and The Black Bull Hotel. (transferred to D61)
D95 John Bull magazine Christmas 1915
D96 Nelson’s Portfolio of War Pictures 1914
D97 Copy of Berwickshire News 18 October 1881 (contains report of Eyemouth Disaster) further copy
D98 Duns 500 Official Programme plus Berwickshire News Supplement
D99 Song Duns Dings A’ by W.L. Ferguson
D 100 Hymn Sheet for Service 25.2.1990 to mark Quincentenary of granting of Duns Burgh Charter. Also Commemorative Envelope and history
D101 The Christ Church Envoy September 1936
D 102 Scrapbooks of Reivers’ Weeks 1949 to 1959 and 1960 to 1969
D103 F and D Smith’s Medal Album - owned by J. McAlpine, Swan Hotel Duns
D104 Guest Book 1898 – Elizabeth Simson Cheeklaw House
D 105 Berwickshire News Supplement dated 3rd. August 1956 to mark Jim Clark’s victory in the Indianapolis 500 motor race.
D 106 Receipt from Croall Bryson & Co. for Morris Oxford Saloon 1964. (transferred to receipts register)
D 107 Magazine Article on the Hays of Duns Castle by Sarah Cartledge 1995 (coloured photographs)
D 108 Victory Message to School children from King George V1 8.6.1946
D 109 Jim Clark Remembered – Tweeddale Press Commemorative Supplement 1993.
D110 Two National Identity Cards, Driver’s Licence 1931, Schedule A assessment 1938 and fire insurance policy 1925.
D111 Coronation Prayer to George V1 9th. May 1937 – Christ Church Duns
D112) Draft of letter found in a tea chute at Gunsgreen House Eyemouth relative to the opening of the Berwickshire Railway.
D113 Various papers and articles relating to Robert Burns’ Tour of the Borders and the Ainslie family including image of Robert Ainslie.
D 114 Lines in remembrance of Andrew Gibb pauper (fatuous) a well known Duns Character died Dec 1878 (plus death certificate)
D115 Kirkin’ o’ Reiver Service 2009 plus ticket to Official Reception 2009.
D116 Review Berwickshire News 5 November 2009 of book Duns Football Club by Colin Pike.
D117 Chirnside a Borders Village published by Chirnside Community Council.
D118 First Report of Duns Young Women’s Club 31st. October 1909
D119 A History of Southfield
D120 Notes on Marchmont House and the Hume Family.plus magazine article by Sheila Foreman dated June 1958
D121 Certificate of baptism Duns Parish Church February 1905
D122 Various papers on Duns Clockmakers and clocks including extracts from ‘Clockmakers and Watchmakers of Scotland by Donald Whyte with notes appended (also copy death certificates Alexander Grinlaw and Andrew Grinlaw)
D123 Notices and letter from the County Clerk dated 19.3.1952 regarding the adoption of various roads in Eccles, Bunkle, Edrom, Coldstream, Coldingham, Gordon, Channelkirk, Ayton, Chirnside, Foulden and Hume.
D124 Guide Book and detailed notes compiled by the Earl of Wemyss and March Discretionary Trustees dated 1973 re. Neidpath Castle, Peebles.
D125 Notes on Jacob Pearson Newton born Duns 1801 pioneer of the Williams River Australia
D126 Miscellany of Newspaper cuttings etc. donated by Mrs. Mona Edgar.
D127 Catalogue of Books in Houndwood Church Library 1852.
D128 Menu for Complimentary Supper to Duns and District Post Office Staff 1903
D129 Rotary Club Diary of Duns for the year 2005 with corresponding images with 1905
D130 short article by Mrs. Jones on work at Cumledge Mill.
D131 various downloads on Manderston House plus newspaper article on the gardens.
D132 Berwickshire News 25 Sept.1896 containing report on opening of ‘New’ High School
D 133 Newspaper Report on the funeral of the Rev. W.D. Herald with a full list of mourners.
D134 Notes on the history of Duns Volunteer Hall by Isobel Candlish plus programme of ‘The Messiah’ performed to mark the 120th. anniversary
D135 Notice regarding burials in Duns Churchyard
D 136 Sales Particulars for Abbey St. Bathans House Blanerne House, Mill Lade House Reston, Peelwalls House Reston, Sisterpath and Ruthven House Coldstream.
D137 East Lothian and the Borders – a landscape fashioned by Geology - Scottish Natural Heritage 1997
D138 Duns RFC Match programmes 1990-91 and 1993-1994
D139 Gavinton Common Good Fund 10th. anniversary – Ali the Barber
D140 Duns and District Operatic Society programmes, The Desert Song 1961, The Lisbon Story 1962, Free as Air 1963, The New Moon 1964, The Quaker Girl 1965 (2 copies), Chu Chin Chou 1966 (two copies), Wedding in Paris, 1967 (two copies), Rose Marie 1966, Brigadoon 1969 (two copies), Maid of the Mountains 1971, Calamity Jane 2005 (two copies), Oliver 2006 (two copies) and Aladdin
D141 Dunse Lodge 23 Re-dedication service 200th. anniversary dinner 1961.
D142 Article from the Paper Trade Review 13.12.1912 on the paper trade in Berwickshire.
D143 Booklet on the life of Lady Grisell Baillie, first deaconess of the Church of Scotland.
D144 Programmes (11) for Regal Cinema Duns Sept. 1959 to Aug 1960.plus café menu
D145 Programme for visit by H.M. Her Majesty the Queen 7.7.1956
D146 Booklets on the opening of West Water and Fruid Reservoir 20.6.1969 and Whiteadder Reservoir 26.9.1969
D 147 Article on Dunse from the Gazetteer of Scotland 1834
D148 The Historical Diary of James Watson of Duns by Grace A Elliot (from the Transactions of the Berwickshire Naturalists’ Club) plus a detail of ‘Folio 8’ being items in the Watson collection?
D149 Soldiers in the Borders in the 17th. and 18th. century.
D150 Three copies of the Berwickshire News dated 5th. January 1965, 7th. December 1965, 29th. June 1982 (donated by Ramsay Brack containing articles re Duns Operatic Society)
D151 Concert Programme Volunteer Hall Duns 11th. February 2010,
D152 The Wynsone Maid and her Court 1947.
D153 Article on letter by Capt Robert Falcon Scott to Duns High School.
D154 Poem VE Celebration 1995 by Pamela Estelle Gibson Todlaw Road Duns.
D155 Article on Dr. George Henderson in Chirnside (1800 to 1864) by W.G. Henderson 2006.
D156 Valuation Roll for the County of Berwick Whitsunday 1903 to Whitsunday 1904.
D157 Newspaper Supplement ‘The Borders Back in the Day’ December 2009’
D158 The Rise and Fall of the Scottish Textile Industry – transcript of talk by Peter Johnson to the Society.
D159 Programmes Duns Burns Club 19.1.1996, 19.1.2007 (signed) 21.1.2011 and 18.1.2013
D 160 Public Park bye-laws 1902
D161 Hymn Sheet for ‘Blessing of the Plough’ service at Fogo Kirk 20.10.1994
D162 Obituary 1896 for Mr. David Lamb psalmodist and precentor West Church Duns (also conductor and musician) - also of his son James Lamb.
D163 Certificate of membership of the Order of Forresters Friendly Society 1897 and Order of the Eastern Star 1920.
D164 Article by Norrie McLeish on The Lost Village of Polwarth also article by Madge Elder on Pollart
D165 Article of Duns a (from 19th. century encyclopaedia?)
D166 Article from Back Tack Magazine August 2011 on the Reston to Duns Railway; also November 2011 Duns to St. Boswells.
D167 Various press cuttings and other documents donated by Mrs. Doreen Thomson – cuttings relate principally to Duns Scotus, Mrs. Loda Hryneczho, opening of tennis courts and reports on the formation and early meetings of the Society.
D168 Detail of place names on the Marchmont Estate covering the period 1095 to c. 1900.
D169 Details of shop owners in Duns as extracted from various business directories 1837 to 1942.
D170 Masonic Lodge Certificates of admission 1906 etc.
D171 Place mat commemorating the 300th. anniversary of the birth of David Hume
D172 Index of documents held by Dunse Masonic Lodge.
D173 Address to the new electors of Duns at a public meeting 14th. December 1832 by Mr. Marjorybanks (later M.P.)
D174 Notice to the Inhabitants of Dunse re Dunse Churchyard 4th. October 1858.
D175 Programme of admission to Complimentary Supper by the Burgh of Duns for H.M. Forces 23rd. January 1920.
D176 Programme for Concert of Instrumental and Vocal Music by Duns Town Council 20th. October 1916.
D177 Appeal by Duns Town Council 1968 to raise funds for Jim Clark memorial.
D178 Various web downloads on Cadwallader Colden.
D179 One hundred years of all-electric television by Paul Marshall – the role in the discovery of television by Alan Archibald Campbell Swinton
D180 Programme to ‘Unanswered Questions’ by pupils of Chirnside Primary School to mark the 300th. anniversary of the birth of David Hume also Festival programme.
D181 Programme for the Philosophy Festival in Chirnside to mark the 300th. anniversary of the birth of David Hume
D182 My memories of Longformacus and Stobswood Farm by Archie McArthur
D183 photograph of Duns Charter 1489 with text translation
D184 Extract from the History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church 1733 to 1900 published by David M Small Edinburgh re. Daniel Kerr M.A. Minister South Church 1840 - 1880
D185 Notes on Fogo Priory
D186 Programme 58th. Annual Supper Duns Burns Club 20.1.2012 (also Song Books)
D187 Hearth Tax 1694 - photocopy and transcription.
D188 Article by Dr. David Round on Sir John Pirie and various web downloads.
D189 Notes on the revision of the song "Annie Laurie" by Robert F McEwen of Marchmont
D 190 Lease between Mrs. I.M. Thomson and others and H.M. Postmaster General of 1932 relative to property at 59 Easter Street for use as a telephone exchange.
D191 Receipt from Alexander Luke & Son motor and cycle engineers 1918 (transferred to D61)
D192 Admissionto Luncheon at Manderston, Rock Sand Derby Stakes 1903
D193 Order of Service Duns Parish Church 1911 for the Coronation of George V and Queen Mary (2 copies)
D194 Receipt from North British Railway Company 1915
D195 Programme and script for Summer Festival Pageants 1950 to 1953
D196 National Small Bore Rifle Competition Certificates David Walker 1941
D197 Rules and Regulations for the New Duns Burial Ground.
D198 Funeral Receipt Wm C McLaren Undertaker Castle Street 1928 (transferred to D61)
D199 Programme (2 copies) to mark the Silver Jubilee of King George V 1935 pus jubilee bag
D 200 Order of Service for Remembrance Day Sundays 1978,1979,1980,1981,1982,1983,1984,1985,1987 and 1988.
D201 Order of Service Founder's Day Service British Legion 1979,1980,1981,1982,1984,1985,1987,1988,1989,1993,1995,1996,1997, 19981999,2000 and 2003,
D202 Copy of Bill to constitute Duns as County Town of Berwickshire 1903
D203 Duns Park Bowling Club 1996-1996 - The First Hundred Years
D204 Cuttings from the People's Journal June 1957 re. dance at Drill Hall Duns deleted
D205 Records (23 books) of the firm of David Spouse, haulage contractors from 1944.
D206 Notes on the Shoemakers' Banner and David Patterson, shoemaker Castle Street.
D207 Notes on the Battle of Nesbit Moor.
D208 2005 Calendar produced by the rotary Club comparing images with 1905
D209 Various records donated by Royal British Legion Duns, including; Comrades of the Great War 1918-1928,Minutes1924-37, 1938 -1957, 1959-1977,1966 -1997, 1969 - 1983,1980-1984, 1983-1994, 1994-2001, Ladies' Section 1991-1997 Cash Books 1927- 1930, 1931 -1934, 1935-1942, Account book 1987-94. Lottery 2010-2012, Visitors book 2011
D210 Royal British Legion - 90th. anniversary dinner menu.
D211 Extract from Wilson's 'Tales of the Borders' - The Death of Chevalier De la Beaute
D212 Order of Service for Duns Parish Church, The Kirking of the Reiver ceremonies 2010, 2011 and 2013?
D212a Copy of poster advertising Eyemouth Choral and Glee Club Concert 8th. March 1867
D213 Citation to serve as a juror at Duns Sheriff Court March 1970
D214 Duns Coat of Arms - Ja Ja Heraldic Series
D215 Border Life issues containing articles 'Duns Fashion Show, (Dec 1966), 'Jean M Speedy Looks at Duns' (May 1967) 'Berwickshire High School' by Jennifer Brown (August 1967) and 'People and Places at Duns, by Ian B Smith (August 1968)
D216 Account by Scott Angus of life at John Watson's School Marchmont during World War 2
D217 Duns Old and Boston (later Duns Parish) Church magazines December 1975 to June 2006 (with gaps) (68 editions)
D218 Poster for Municipal Election Duns 1965 with details of candidates, proposers and assentors
D219 Magazine Bonkyl and Preston, Chirnside and Edrom Allanton Church April 2001
D220 Programme for Duns Golf Club Centenary Ball 1994.
D221Border Musical (Competition) Festival (certificates 3) awarded to Mary Millar 1927/28/29
D222 Vocal Solos awards do
D223 Booklet issued by Duns Town Council on the opening of the Cairnbank Sewage Works in 1970 detailing the history of sewage and sewage treatment works in the Town
D224 Paper Bag of A Walkinshaw Baker and Grocer Duns, found under the floorboards at 40 Newtown Street.
D225 Order of Service for the laying up of the Colours of the KOSB 20.10.1996.
D226 Order of Service for Memorial Service to Lt Col. Sir William B Swan 20.12.1990
D227 Fishwick – from ‘The History of Berwickshire’s Towns and Villages, by Robert J Glover 2002 – published by Glover Press Duns
D228 Duns Workingmen’s Institute - rules for the hire of the Reading room and agenda and minutes for AGM 2009.
D229 Berwickshire News Supplement to mark ‘Duns 500’ 1989.
D230 Third Statutory Review of Electoral Arrangements SBC area July 1998
D231 Photographic album of Marjery A S William Berwick 1923 to 1928 also Ministry of Transport directives for Road Users 1930.
D232 Tweeddale Press Supplement to mark the opening of Borders General Hospital 1.7.1988
D233 Copy of account of expenses in connection with the funeral of Mary Hood widow of George Melville, merchant Duns 1764
D234 Two Magazine articles (in German) on A.A. Campbell-Swinton
D 235 The People’s Friend No 7081 October 2005 with article of Duns (donated by Sandra Snowie)
D236 ‘Back in the Days’ magazine no 6 containing article by Sheila Whitehead recalling her appointment as Reiver’s Lass in1960
D237 Lair plan of Duns Cemetery
D238 Programme for the Kirking of the Reiver July 2014
D239 Programme for Summer Festival Dinner 1966.
D240 Journal compiled by Mary H C, Johnston, Duns of her visit to South Africa, Australia and Tasmania 1983.
D241 Receipt by Adam Paterson and Son, Galashiels to Mrs. Haggarty, china merchant Duns for the supply of 35 bags of bones. April 1880.
D242 Articles of Roup dated 1812 relating to subjects in Duns situated on ‘The South side of the Horse Market’ and others sometime belonging to George Darling weaver Duns and disponed to John Gray tobacconist and Thomas Holywell feuar.
D243 The Game of Ball as played in Dunse by Thomas Brown from the History of the Berwickshire Naturalists Club 1843.
D244 Papers relating to the Incorporation of Hammermen 1782.
D245 Web download from Wikepedia on the Battle of Duns 1372.
D246 Depiction of Weddderburn Aisle in Duns Churchyard 1874 - Berwickshire Naturalists’ Club.
D247 Five letters dated 1862-1865 from William Graham, ironmonger and general merchant Market Square to his son George largely reporting on business. Also correspondence with jane Hellebrand with transcripts of further letters
D248 Brief History on the family of Houston-Boswall of Blackadder House and notes on Blackadder House including article from Berwickshire Advertiser 14.4.1925 on its demolition.
D249 British Railways Illustrated Magazine October 2015 with article on derailment at Duns August 1965.
D250 Leaflet on the history of Duns Parish Church by Kenneth McLean - also Berwickshire News article 28.1.2016.
D251 The Jim Clark Trophy Collection- from the opening of the Trophy Room April 1969
D252 Order of Service Funeral Jim Clark Chirnside 1968
D253 Annual Report of the Burgh Surveyor of Duns 1974 (last report) donated by R.A. Martin
D254 Programme of Celebrations to mark the Silver Jubilee of King George V 1935
D255 ‘The Advertiser’ Directory of Berwickshire 1938 (copy)
D256 Various newspaper reports etc. relating to Chirnside Paper Mill and Young Trotter
D257 Papers relating to the establishment of the Ellem Fishing Club 1829 – the oldest continuing trout angling club in the world.
D258 Poem by Thomas Watts 1883 relating to the death by drowning of John Turner in the River Whiteadder.
D259 Various papers relating to the ‘Secret Army (Resistance) during World War 2 with information on known members also weapons and bunkers.
D260 Various papers relating to the Hunters of Duns.
D261 Gravekeepers records for Edrom Churchyard 1908 to 1940 and Preston Road Duns Cemetery 1948 to 1967*.
D262 Various papers relating to Duns Parish Church including magazines, April 1993, December 1998 and March 1999 also order of service for the visit of the Moderator April 1995 and introduction of Rev Stephen A Blakey, January 2013, pamphlet on the rebuilding of the Church and 2017 Statistical Synopsis.
D263 Box of papers pertinent to Robert Gourlay, joiner Sinclair’s Hill.
D264 Newspaper cutting showing Remembrance Day Service 1882 and Leon (John) Jarmasczak
D265 The Cammo Foundry by Night (article from the Berwickshire Advertiser 1896)
D266 Border Tractors Drivers’ Club Ploughing match Results 22.11.1958
D267 Pamphlet relating to the Garrett Family Bible - link to the family of Elizabeth Richardson born Duns 1849. D268 Extracts relating to Duns from ‘The Political State of Scotland in the last Century,’ published 1887.
D269 List of shop-keepers in Duns, 1926.
D270 Extracts relative to Berwickshire from the book The Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland by the Rev. John Marious Wilson c. 1866 – also Bradshaw’s Descriptive Railway Hand-Book
D271 A Potted history of Christ Church Duns (draft) by Janet Sharkey.
D272 Programme and other papers relating to the admission of Wm Renton as Honorary Burgess 29.11.1974 D273 Notebook kept by Wm Renton, Town Clerk Duns principally of derivation of names and history of Parishes with various newspaper and other cuttings.
D274 Transcript of Anniversary Address to Berwickshire Naturalists by Brigid McEwen dated 11th.October 1973 on Lady Bell and Lord P of Marchmont – also article on ‘Domestic Life in the Great House in the 18th. century.
D275 Draft of book The Streets of Duns by Wm Renton 1978
D276 Draft of article by Wm Renton on Witchcraft in Duns and surrounding area
D277 Notes on Nisbet House and its History complied by Wm Renton.
D278 Programme for the conferment of the Freedom of Duns on the King’s Own Scottish Borderers 22.7.1972
D279 Newspaper article on the granting to Duns Town Council by Wm Renton of a new Burgh Standard
D280 Programme for the Summer Festival 1977, History trail to Duns Law, 1974 and other papers relating to Reiver’s Week from the collection of Wm Renton, town Clerk
D281 Newspaper article regarding a blizzard March 1979.
D282 Book of Newspaper cuttings and other documents put together by Wm Renton Town Clerk
D283 Newspaper cutting relative to the unveiling of the statue to Wojtek the Bear 28.4.2016
D284 List of Photographers in Borders area 1864- 1914
D285 Photograph 1953 showing Ronald Mackat, Lord Easiie as a pupil at Duns Primary School 1953 and web downloads on subsequent career
D286 Information re James Redden K.O.S.B. killed in France 25.9.1916 and letter from his mother dated 29.4.1919 D287 Article by Andrew Plumridge on the Bastie Monument at Broomhouse, also Family tree of the Homes and Logan-Hoes of Broomhouse.
D288 Article from ‘The Bells of Berwickshire’ on Duns Old Parish Church Bell
D289 Extract from the book ‘The Family of Hay of Duns Castle’ published 1930 re William James Hay b. 1827,
D290 Article on The Hiring Fair by Rachael Weir 1961.
D291 Programme of events to celebrate the silver jubilee of George V and Queen Mary – also paper bag in like commemoration.
D292 Essay entitled ‘The Generation Gap’ written in 1979 by an octogenarian (author?)
D293 Notes and background to ‘Operation Sunflower’ with photograph of Van Gough recreation taken at Heriot Bank Whitsome.
D294 Correspondence on the Berwickshire Fencible Cavalry with information on those with a Duns connection who served.
D295 Letter dated 6 July 1843 from the Office of the Special Commissioner Free Church of Scotland to the Rev. Dr. Brown, Langton admitting him as a minister of that Church.
D296 Copy of ‘Berwickshire News’ of 17 August 1948 reporting on flooding, (also cutting from the ‘ Scotsman’) D297 Various papers and files relating to the Speedy family and Southfield Military Hospital, including journals with soldiers’ wartime recollections, personal diaries and papers, book ‘In Edinburgh Now’ drafts and indexes for book ‘The Soldiers Remember, newspaper extracts, books donated, school reports, genealogies etc.
D298 Letters dated 1995 from Heinrich Brand, Germany to Jimmy Borthwick, Duns thanking him for friendship and cordiality when he had been a prisoner of war during W.W.11 and worked at West Printonan Farm (with book of photographs).
D299 Photo extracts from title deeds of Ninian Davidson, clockmaker relative to property in Market Square.
D300 Download from ‘Old Scottish’ of Duns male Heads of Household 1834 and 1835.
D301Papers on the histories of various properties in Duns with background information on the families as compiled by David Mclean viz.; 1) Southfield 2) The Knoll, 3) Duns Auction Mart 4) The Hermitage 5) Fenton Lodge and 6) Lanark Lodge, 7) Public Park 8) Wellnager 9) Council Housing 10) The Millburn Schools (Duns Parish) and The Happers
D302 Menu and programme re Complimentary Dinner to Reiver and Lass 1967, D303 photocopy of programme for Concert by South Church Guild 27th. Oct 1920
D304 Original copies dated 1789 of various Charters granted by Watson, Solicitors largely relating to ground in Newtown Street.
D305 List of office bearers and members of Lodge Duns 23 on resuscitation 30 March 1901
D306 Restoration of Cumledge Mill
D307 Church Newsletters
D308 Copy of The Peoples Friend featuring Duns
D309 Leaflet – Crumstane Farm Park
D310 A Soldier: His Prayer - cutting from paper Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D311 Report of Trial Scotts v. Home Drummond and Herriot - Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D312 First Aid certificate – Reginald Jones - 27th May, 1963 + second 12th April 1964 Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D313 Railway ticket Edinburgh – Galashiels off peak return Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D314 Duns and District Parish Rememberance Services 11th Nov. 2018 Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D315 Print out from Ancestry.com of KSOB soldiers who died in the WW1 Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1
D316 Duns Town Trail map Cupboard 1 Ass. Items file 1